Thursday, April 8, 2010

I wore no shoes today

as part of "No Shoes for a Day" put on by Tom's shoes.

The point was to raise awareness:
*Many people around the world cannot afford to buy shoes for their children to wear.
*Some schools will not allow children to attend school if they don't wear shoes.
*Cuts and sores on feet can lead to serious infection.

Being barefoot for about 95% of the day (dining areas caught me and asked me to put on shoes) made me think:
*It is noticeable that I am not wearing shoes and that I am different.
*I have to watch where I am walking to avoid objects that may hurt my feet (like the broken glass I almost tread on).
*I've come to realize that different floors are different temperatures (the floors coming out of the library are oddly warm).
*My feet were cold all day, and therefore my entire body felt a bit cold all day.

My feet are now:
dirty
sore (kinda prickly feeling)
calloused
itchy
and peeling a bit.

I must say, being barefoot was fun for a little bit:
almost like running around outside naked (for a straightedge like me).
But after awhile, my feet hurt. They stung. They felt dirty.
I had to consider where I could go that would allow soiled, bare feet.

Kids deserve more.
Consider giving your time, money, and/or energy to a good cause for kids-
especially in developing nations:
they can't do it all on their own.

No comments: